POD’s figuring things out as we grow along, but parsnips, like any other veggie, seem to be a little fussy. But, so far, so good — every one of the javelins has germinated and they’re sprouting right along.
- Rich, deep, well-fertilized soil
- Go light on the nitrogen, though — evidently they don’t like it
- Full flavor develops when the roots have been exposed to near-freezing temperatures
- POD’s hopes for a Thanksgiving crop may not pan out — perhaps more like a February harvest, just when they’ll be most needed
- Full sun/partial shade okay
2 thoughts on “Persnickety Parsnips”
I’m just guessing here, but I think nitrogen encourages leaf growth, which would take away parsnips’ energy from developing their root/tuber.
I suspect you’re probably right!