Between last week’s spinach and this week’s arugula, courtesy of the Greensgrow CSA, a half pound of Champ’s tomatoes (Gold Nugget), and some POD oregano, a pretty wonderful gnocchi landed on the table this week.
Arugula and Spinach Gnocchi with Marinated Tomatoes, serves 2
Ingredients for Gnocchi:
1/2 lb. spinach
1/2 lb. arugula
1/2 egg (be creative, strain off half the whites and half the yolk and you’re good to go)
1/4 c. flour, plus more for dusting
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
1/4 c. bread crumbs
pepper to taste
- The night before serving, bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the spinach and blanch for 2 minutes. Add the arugula to the pot and blanch for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Drain the spinach and arugula and dump it into an ice water bath. The shocking will preserve the super green color.
- Once the greens have cooled, drain them again and then process them in a food processor or blender for 3-4 minutes until very, very smooth. You can add a couple tablespoons of the blanching liquid if you need to. The consistency should be pretty mushy — like a wet batter.
- Place the spinach and gnocchi puree in a strainer and set over a bowl. Refrigerate overnight to drain off the excess moisture. This step is annoying, but critical — if you don’t you’ll have heavy spinach and arugula bombs rather than pillowy gnocchi.
- The next day, when you’re ready to make the gnocchi, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Place the spinach and arugula batter in large bowl and add the egg, flour, breadcrumbs, cheese, and pepper. Mix well, your hands are your best tool.
- Scoop the mixture into a sandwich bag, seal, and snip off a bottom corner edge of the bag. (Unless, of course, you have a pastry bag handy).
- Squeeze out little gnocchi-to-bes that are about 3/4″ in diameter onto a well-floured surface. Gently roll the balls around the flour until they’re evenly dusted.
- Drop the balls into the boiling water and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Scoop them out and cover with the marinated tomatoes (see below).
Ingredients for Tomatoes:
8 oz. cherry tomatoes, halved
a generous splash of balsamic vinegar
1 tbs. olive oil
1 tbs. chopped fresh oregano
pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients and allow to marinate for 3-6 hours.
- Top gnocchi with tomato mixture.
- Pour a glass of wine. Eat.