Between all the peppers that have arrived courtesy of Greensgrow’s CSA and POD’s two thriving bird chili plants, some creative concocting has been in order.
4-6 long hot red chilies, seeded and minced finely
a generous handful of bird chilies, seeded and minced finely
3 heaping tsp. caraway seeds, ground
3 heaping tsp. cumin seeds, ground
4 cloves garlic
1 red bell pepper, roasted and peeled
1/2 tsp. tomato puree
1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. smoked paprika
4 tbs. olive oil
- Process the hot peppers with a pinch of salt, half of each of the spice seeds and the garlic until smooth. Very, very smooth.
- Add the roasted peppers, the rest of the spice seeds, the tomato puree, and vinegar, and blend some more. Smoooooth.
- Transfer to a non-reactive bowl and add the olive oil.
- Sprinkle the paprika on top of the oil and stir. Taste, and season with more salt, if necessary.
- Harissa keeps well in the fridge, but you’ll want to cover it with some olive oil to seal it from the air.
- Blend them with a pinch of salt, half of each of the spice seeds and the garlic until smooth. Toss in the minced bird chilies and process some more.