Ah, summer. This cucumber, mint, and tomato salad incorporates so many of POD’s favorite things:
6 oz. cherry tomatoes (in this case, Isis Candy, Black Cherry, and Gold Nugget)
5 cucumbers (in this case, boothby blonde and lemon cucumber)
scant tbs. excellent balsamic vinegar
pinch of salt
Oh, the pleasures of climbing the sladder and returning with a bowl full of dinner.
Minus the cow.
Got cucumbers? Check. Tomatoes? Check. Lettuce? Check. Swiss Chard? Check. Very par-boiled peas? Check. (Peas courtesy of the farmers’ market.) Fresh, crunchy bread? Check.
Steak and Croutons
1) 60z flat iron steak (a relatively thin cut that will grill quickly) at room temperature.
1b) slice bread into 1/2″ rounds, rub with olive oil and garlic.
2) Blot steak dry with paper towel.
3) Brush with a splodge of olive oil.
4) Rub in some coarse ground black pepper and salt, press it into the meat.
5) Heat your grill as hot as you can. Sear each side for 2-3 minutes, depending on your preferences. Your grill lines should be nice and black.
6) Grill bread until golden toasty — it won’t take long.
7) Remove from heat, rest for 3-4 minutes. Break the bread into bite-size pieces. Slice the steak thinly and arrange over your salad.